Tri-Town Trojans versus Bethlehem Plowboys

                                       Trojans rally to knock off Blaze
The fifth-seeded Tri-Town Trojans had made a valiant run through the Tri-State Baseball League playoffs, but they ran into Charlie Benson and the No. 2 Watertown Blaze Wednesday night at Fuessenich Park.
For the early part of the game, that combination was not good. Watertown grabbed a 1-0 lead after one inning and Benson made the lead stick for six more innings. In the eighth, however, Tri-Town rallied for two runs which included a double by Jon Smart, two Watertown errors, an RBI single by Steve Price and stole a 2-1 win.
With the victory, the Trojans advance to the Tri-State Baseball League Championship Series. Tri-Town meets the top-seeded Bethlehem Plowboys in the best-of-three, beginning Saturday at 1 p.m. at Fuessenich Park.
Miles Scribner, who has been solid on the mound, threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win. Scribner threw 20 of his 30 pitches for strikes. Scribner struck out three and walked one.
Andrew Osolin started for the Trojans and gave up one unearned run on six hits in a solid effort. Osolin struck out 12 and walked two in 6 2/3 innings. Casey McDonald went 1-for-2 with a double, two walks, and a run scored. Dan Staino scored the other run for the Trojans. Landon Gardella tripled and Troy Kobylarz added one hit.
For Watertown, Benson went 7 1/3 innings, giving up two unearned runs on five hits. Benson struck out eight and walked four on 129 pitches before giving way to Tyler King. Chris Ayer went 2-for-3 with a run scored for the Blaze. John Lovetere, Victor DeSimone, Brett Koliani, and Justin Froese each added one hit apiece in the loss.
The game also marked the return of Trojans head coach Ryan McDonald to the sidelines after missing the previous 2 Tri-Town playoff games to be with his fiance, Jenna Cook, who gave birth to their first child, Camryn Rose, last Thursday. McDonald owns Ted’s Restaurant and Bar on the UConn campus and Cooke is an oncology nurse at New Britian Hospital. Congratulations!